ĐỀ THI NGÀY 3/8/2017
Topic: Some people think it is more important to spend money on roads and motorways than on public transport systems.
To what extend do you agree?
|It is argued that money should be spent on developing roads and motorways rather than on public transport systems. Personally I think both road and public transport systems have vital roles to play in modern society, and therefore should be equally invested in.
On the one hand, better road quality increases the level of safety and reduces traffic congestion. In many cities and provinces in Vietnam for example, the number of road accidents is ever-increasing because there are a lot of holes on the road’s surface. This is a clear evidence that the government should spend money improving the quality of road systems in order to ensure the safety of people. Additionally, building wider roads and more motorways in big cities like Ha Chi Minh, where traffic congestion is still a major problem, will help to increase road capacity. It means that there will be more space for a larger number of vehicles, hence reducing pressure on the city’s main roads as well as congestion.
On the other hand, better public transport systems are beneficial for the environment and people who do not have a private vehicle. In fact, some modes of public transport like subways produce less pollutants than cars and other private vehicles. Therefore, spending money providing people with access to public transport will improve air quality and reduce pollution. Furthermore, for those who do not have a private vehicle, such as motorbike or car, buses and subways are a great choice if they have to travel every day.
In conclusion, for the reasons above, I believe money should be well-spent on not only road but also public transport systems.
- To increase the level of safety: Tăng mức độ an toàn
- To reduce traffic congestion: Giảm ách tắc giao thông
- To ensure the safety of people: Đảm bảo an toàn cho người dân
- To increase road capacity: Tăng tải trọng đường
- To reduce pressure on the city’s main roads as well as congestion: Giảm áp lực lên đường phố cũng như giảm ách tức
- Access to public transport: Có thể sử dụng phương tiện công cộng
- Improve air quality and reduce pollution: Cải thiện chất lượng không khí và giảm ô nhiễm