Prison is the common way in most countries to solve the problem of crime. However, a more effective solution is to provide people a better education. Do you agree or disagree?
Despite the popularity of prison sentences as the way to control illegalities, improvements on education have gained social endorsement as a means to eliminate the problem from its root. In my opinion, I disagree that education is the better one as it is rather impossible to compare these two methods’ effectiveness owing to their distinct impacts.
On the one hand, the reasons why prisons are of indispensable necessity for social securityare varied. They are the place to keep people who have broken the law contained, ensuring the safety of other citizens. Especially, dangerous criminals such as murderers or rapists have to be imprisoned for their heinous actions. Furthermore, severe prison sentences act as a deterrent against crimes. Knowing there might be a chance of getting caught and condemned to jail, which also means losing freedom and living a miserable life in a cell, ones who are having the intention of committing illegalities would reconsider going down the path.
On the other hand, education serves as a remedy for the origin of crimes. Education contributes greatly to heighten people’s intellect and to form a civilized society. With access to better educational services, citizens would be well-informed about the damage that committing crimes would cause to their community and themselves, which eventually leads to the decline in crime rates. Additionally, the possession of certain qualifications through fundamental education like vocational training could secure a person’s stable life, which would dispel any ideas of committing crimes.
In conclusion, I believe there is no absolute way to deduce whether imprisonment policies or better education would take the dominant role in dealing with crimes as they both tackle the problem just in different ways.
- Illegality: Hành động bất hợp pháp
- Social endorsement: Sự ủng hộ từ xã hội
- Eliminate the problem from its root: Loại bỏ nguồn góc của vấn đề
- To be of necessity: Là một sự cần thiết không thể thiếu (nhấn mạnh)
- Social security: An ninh xã hội
- To be imprisoned: Bị bỏ tù
- Heinous actions: Hành động tội ác
- To be a deterrent against sth: Là một rào cản chống lại cái gì đó
- To be condemned to jail: Bị tống vào tù
- To serve as a remedy for the origin of crimes: Như là một liều thuốc cho nguồn gốc của tội phạm
- To heighten people’s intellect: Nâng cao dân trí
- A civilized society: Một xã hội văn minh
- Vocational training: Học nghề
- To dispel any ideas of committing crimes: Loại bỏ bất kì ý định muốn phạm tội