Some universities offer online courses as an alternative to classes delivered on campus.
Do you think this is a positive or negative development?
In many universities, distance learning through an online platform is provided for students as an option to replace traditional classrooms. In my view, although such a development could be detrimental in a number of ways, overall, I believe it to be an essential step forward.
On the one hand, this method of remote learning, without the need for regular face-to-face contact with teachers in a classroom, is negative for two reasons. Firstly, students who study online do not develop comprehensively in the way that other students who attend classes at school do. During online courses, it is difficult for students to make friends or attempt to compete with their peers. This is often linked to the fact that those learners seem to undervalue the significance of interaction and rivalry with classmates in an educational environment, which are actually regarded as great stimuli for scholastic success. Secondly, participants of online learning programs have a tendency to procrastinate more and poorly allocate an appropriate amount of time to complete assignments. This form of studying requires tremendous self-discipline as well as excellent organization and time management skills as students usually struggle with balancing their coursework with other priorities, and quickly become unmotivated without direct guidance from instructors.
On the other hand, online learning is proving to be a great alternative, although traditional universities are still widely considered as the best way to acquire knowledge and a qualification. Access to all resources within a traditional course is offered, which empowers learners to freely choose from a wide range of different subjects, from science to economics. Furthermore, lower costs and the widespread presence of the Internet allow unlimited numbers of participants, regardless of not only their financial background but also current living location. For example, Coursera is a website that offers a variety of courses at reasonable prices and presents valid certification for participants upon completion of each course.
In conclusion, though there are some drawbacks to studying via online courses, I do believe that this method is a revolutionary step in contemporary tertiary education systems.
Word count: 335
1. Regular face-to-face contact with teachers in a classroom: tương tác trực tiếp với giáo viên trên lớp
2. The significance of interaction and rivalry with classmates in an educational environment: ý nghĩa quan trọng của sự tương tác và cạnh tranh với bạn cùng lớp trong môi trường giáo dục
3. Tremendous self-discipline as well as excellent organization and time management skills: tính kỷ luật cao cùng với kĩ năng kiểm soát thời gian và sắp xếp công việc hiệu quả
4. Access to all resources within a traditional course: Có thể truy cập tất cả các nguồn kiến thức trong một khóa học truyền thống
5. Lower costs and the widespread presence of the Internet: giá rẻ và sự xuất hiện khắp nơi của Internet