IELTS Speaking Part 2
Describe a time when you had a problem with a piece of equipment
- What equipment it was
- What problem you had
- When you had the problem
- And explain how you fixed the problem.
I would like to tell you the story about the time I had some technical problems with my mother’s phone. I cannot remember exactly when it happened, probably a couple of years back when I was still a high-school student. Anyway, back in the day, smart phones were not as popular as they are now, and owning one was actually something to be jealous of.
On my mom’s birthday that year, my dad surprised her with a brand new iPhone 4, which was one of the most technically advanced phones on the market at the time. Although I knew it was mom’s, I just loved it so much, all I wanted to do was take it to school to show my friends. Then one day, I made up an excuse that I needed her phone for some projects at school and she actually believed me.
I remember the next morning; I couldn’t help smiling all the way to school with the phone in my pocket. Needless to say, my friends adored it, and for me, I just loved being the center of attention. As we were playing with the phone, testing all of its functions, my teacher walked in, which took me by surprise. Next thing I knew, my mom’s phone slipped out of my hand and fell onto the hard ﬂoor.
My heart skipped a beat as I picked it up, there was no screen crack but the ﬂash-light just kept ﬂashing non-stop. I thought to myself: “That’s it, this is the end of the world for me.”
Later that day, I brought the phone home and confessed with my mom. She was furious with me. But it turned out that all I had to do was hit the reset button! This is one of the memory that I will never forget.
- Back in the day: trong quá khứ
- To be jealous of: đố kỵ với cái gì
- Make up an excuse: bịa ra lời bao biện
- Couldn’t help smiling: không thể nhịn cười
- The center of attention: trung tâm của sự chú ý
- Take somebody by surprise: làm ai đó giật mình
- My heart skipped a beat: đột ngột cảm thấy sợ
Các chủ đề tương tự
Những ý tưởng và từ vựng trong bài mẫu trên có thể được sử dụng để phát triển những chủ đề sau:
- Describe a time when you were scared: I was really afraid to confess to my mom about the broken phone.
- Describe a time you borrowed something from your family or friend: the time I borrowed my mom’s phone.
- Describe a time when you didn’t tell someone the whole truth: I did not tell my mother about the real reason I borrowed her phone.
IELTS Speaking Part 3
Câu trả lời tham khảo
1. What are the most common household appliances that every family has?
Gợi ý: đồ gia dụng nhà bếp – thiết bị giải trí, ích lợi của nó.
Hmm… I think every family would have some basic household appliances like a refrigerators, washing machine and Television. Those are the types of appliances that oﬀer people a lot of beneﬁts and can help save a lot of time.
2. What can people do to protect their equipment from being broken?
Gợi ý: giữ đồ cẩn thận, nêu ví dụ một đồ gia dụng nào đó.
Of course if you want to keep anything new, or at least not broken, you have to treat it carefully. For example, if you want to keep a refrigerator in its best condition for the longest time possible, you should clean it regularly, and have it
repaired right away if any problems occur.
3. If a piece of equipment is broken, do you prefer to ﬁx it or buy a new one?
Gợi ý: tuỳ thuộc vào độ hư hỏng, nếu hỏng vừa thì sửa, hỏng nhiều thì thay; Hoặc tuỳ thuộc vào giá trị tnh thần (sentmental value) của đồ đó.
This should depend on how broken it is. If there is still a chance that it would function normally again after being repaired, I would deﬁnitely try and ﬁx it. But on the other hand, if chances are it can’t be ﬁxed or the repairing process could cost me a fortune, then I would buy a new one.
4. Do you think modern technology makes people lazier?
- Có, bởi tiện lợi quá mọi người không phải di chuyển nữa;
- Không, bởi nhiều công việc vẫn phải do con người làm, nhất là việc trí óc, công nghệ chỉ đóng vai trò hỗ trợ.
Yes, I think so. Everything is so convenient these days that people no longer have to make much of an eﬀort anymore. Online shopping or delivery services are a prime example. Back in the day, to buy something, people had no choice but to travel to the store and make the purchase in person. But now, as these online services are always available, anything can be bought with just a click. This does make people lazier, but at the same time helps people save tons of time.
Cost me a fortune: rất đắt
A prime example: ví dụ điển hình
With just a click: chỉ với một click