In schools and universities, girls tend to choose arts while boys like science.
What are the reasons for this trend and do you think this tendency should be changed?
There has been a marked difference in subject preferences between girls, who often enroll in art based courses, and boys, who have a tendency to study some form of science. There are a number of elements that may cause this issue, and I personally feel that it is best not to apply any changes to this tendency.
The aforementioned situation can be attributed to gender-specific personalities and competence. Firstly, female students are usually attracted to subjects that require tremendous self-discipline and patience such as language classes while male students share a common interest in several fields that need considerable analytical abilities to excel at, for example math or physics. Secondly, it has been proven that each of the two sexes shows distinct competence and excellence in their favored subjects. In general, most students prefer to choose classes that they are best at, which is why boys and girls choose different courses to study.
In my view, it is rather unnecessary to make changes to this trend. Initially, students choose the environment where they can best cultivate their skills and abilities. Therefore, if they were forced to take part in unwanted classes, it would produce undesirable outcomes, especially resentment or negative attitudes toward study at school. Furthermore, students, regardless of gender, should have their freedom to choose. In other words, they should be at liberty to decide what courses they can attend so that they will feel that they are respected and listened to.
In conclusion, distinct characteristics and differing levels of competence between males and females are the main causes for the tendency toward choosing particular courses to study at schools and universities, and I believe that students should be entitled to participate in any class they desire.
- Gender-specific personalities and competence: năng lực và tính cách đặc trưng theo giới tính
- Considerable analytical abilities: khả năng phân tích cao
- Show distinct competence and excellence: có những năng lực và sự xuất sắc khác nhau
- Cultivate their skills and abilities: nâng cao kỹ năng và khả năng
- Resentment or negative attitude toward study at school: sự hằn học và thái độ tiêu cực với việc học ở trường
- To be entitled to participate in any class they desire: có quyền tham gia bất kì môn học nào mà họ muốn