Collocations trong IELTS Speaking theo chủ đề Transportation
Table of contents
- Published on
Trong bài thi IELTS nói chung và kĩ năng Speaking nói riêng, “Collocation” có lẽ là yếu tố được nhiều thí sinh quan tâm và đầu tư nhiều thời gian để trau dồi thêm về vốn Collocation của bản thân. Trong bài viết này, tác giả sẽ đưa ra định nghĩa về Collocation, cũng như liệt kê và phân tích về nghĩa và cách dùng của một số Collocation chủ đề Transportation. Ngoài ra, tác giả sẽ áp dụng các Collocation trong IELTS Speaking để người học dễ hình dung hơn.
Các collocations trong IELTS Speaking theo chủ đề Transportation
- Means of transportation (n): Phương tiện giao thông
- VD: Motorbike is my all-time favorite means of transportation because it is very convenient traveling by motorbike.
- Traffic congestion (n): Kẹt xe
- VD: What I hate the most in Ho Chi Minh City is traffic congestion.
- Rush hour (n): Giờ cao điểm
- VD: It’s not a good choice to travel during rush hours.
- Environmentally – friendly vehicles (n): Phương tiện thân thiện với môi trường
- VD: Electric cars are an example of environmentally-friendly vehicles.
- Take the bus (v): bắt xe buýt
- VD: I take the bus to go to work every day.
- Vehicle emissions (n): Khí thải giao thông
- VD: The government should introduce some laws to reduce the vehicle emissions.
- Get stuck in a traffic jam (v): bị kẹt lại trong chuỗi ách tắc giao thông
- VD: I try to go to work early every morning, but I always get stuck in a traffic jam.
- Zebra crossing (n): vạch kẻ dành cho người đi bộ
- VD: The policeman was so kind that he assisted an old man at a zebra crossing.
- Break traffic rules (v): Phạm luật giao thông
- VD: People will be fined if they break traffic rules.
- Follow traffic rules (v): Chấp hành luật giao thông
- VD: People should follow traffic rules to protect themselves and everyone else driving on the road.
- Operate a vehicle (v): Sử dụng phương tiện giao thông
- VD: People should follow traffic rules when operating a vehicle on the road.
- Cut the accident rate (v): Giảm tỉ lệ tai nạn
- VD: The accident rate will be cut if everyone follows traffic rules.
- Reduce the heavy traffic (v): Giảm thiểu lượng phương tiện đông đúc
- VD: Building more roads will reduce the heavy traffic during rush hour.
- Public transportation (n): Phương tiện công cộng
- VD: The use of public transportation will reduce traffic congestion and protect the environment.
- Personal vehicle (n): Phương tiện cá nhân
- VD: Most people prefer using personal vehicles because they are convenient.
Áp dụng collocation trong IELTS Speaking
Ở phần này, tác giả sẽ hướng dẫn người đọc áp dụng các collocations đã học ở trên vào việc trả lời các câu hỏi Part 1, 2 và 3 của bài thi IELTS Speaking.
Sử dụng collocation trong IELTS Speaking Part 1:
What form of transport do you prefer to use? Why?
Answer: Well, I like motorbikes and it is also my main means of transportation. Compared to other vehicles, a motorbike is easy to ride, convenient and it just gives me a sense of freedom.
How often do you take buses?
Answer: Not really often, I suppose. Now I mostly travel from my apartment to my company and it’s not far so I ride my motorbike. I only take a bus twice or three times a year to visit my family.
Can you compare the advantages of planes and trains?
Answer: Well, I think travelling by plane is much faster and more comfortable while taking a train is cheaper. The best thing about travelling by these means of transportation is you don’t have to worry about traffic congestion.
How much time do you spend travelling on a normal day?
Answer: Honestly, even though my house is not too far from my working place, it takes me around 2 hours to commute every day due to traffic congestion. Even though I try to go early, I always get stuck in a traffic jam and it’s really time consuming.
Would you ride bikes to work in the future?
Answer: Definitely! Riding a bike is not only a good way to keep fit but also to reduce pollution because it’s an environmentally-friendly vehicle. I think I will try to make bicycles my daily means of transportation next year.
Sử dụng collocation trong IELTS Speaking Part 2:
Describe a time you travelled by public transport.
You should say:
What type of public transport you used
Where you travelled from and to
What you did during the journey
And explain how you felt about travelling in this way.
I’m going to talk about the first time when I took a train, which was about 4 years ago. My friends and I went on a vacation in Da Nang and we decided to travel by train because it was cheaper and more comfortable than commuting by bus or motorbike. We travelled to Da Nang from Hue and the distance was not so far so it took us only around 3 hours. During the journey, we just had some discussions about what we would do in Da Nang and enjoyed some snacks. What impressed me the most was the scenery that we had the chance to contemplate on the way. We saw Lang Co Beach, Hai Van Pass and other stunning natural places. They were all really beautiful and I think I would have never had the chance to see those impressive things if I had ridden a motorbike.
I think travelling by public transportation, especially trains, is a very relaxing experience because passengers do not have to focus on driving or worry about following traffic rules. Besides, it helps reduce the accident rate, I suppose. If people use their own personal vehicles, they will have to drive by themselves so on a long trip like this, they may grow tired and couldn’t focus on operating their vehicles. Travelling by public transportation lik e train also helps reduce the heavy traffic and vehicle emissions, which I highly appreciate.
After the trip, I’ve changed my mind about public transportation, which I thought was really time-consuming and inconvenient before. Now I use public transportation more often. It helps me save lots of money and also protect the environment.
Sử dụng collocation trong IELTS Speaking Part 3
How do most people travel long distances in your country?
Answer: Well, I think most of them take public transportation like trains, buses or air planes because it’s safe and fast. But there are some people who also choose to use personal vehicles like motorcycles or cars because they want to have a sense of freedom and it’s also more convenient if they want to stop on the way to buy some souvenirs or visit some tourist sites.
Have the types of transport people use changed much over the last few decades?
Answer: Yes, I suppose. The living standard is improved day by day so people’s means of transportation is also improved to make it more comfortable and convenient. For example, as far back as about 50 years ago, the main vehicles of Vietnamese people were bicycles and motorbikes. But now, more and more households own a car and it is also affordable for people to take planes if they travel long distances.
What kinds of improvement have there been in transport in your country in recent years?
Answer: I think the government has widened and built more roads to reduce the heavy traffic. Besides, they also introduce new laws to reduce the accident rate. Public transportation system is also improved to encourage people to use those environmentally-friendly vehicles. I think those are positive changes and hopefully in the future, traffic congestion will be solved.
Do you think most people should use public transports? Why/ why not?
Answer: Definitely! Using public transports is a good way to reduce vehicle emissions and cut the accident rate. Besides, when commuting by public transports, people will not have to worry about being stuck in a traffic jam or breaking traffic rules like when they operate their personal vehicles.
Why some countries impose higher taxes on car ownership?
impose higher taxes
Answer: Because they want to reduce the use of personal vehicles and encourage people to travel by public transports. High taxes will discourage drivers from owning a car because they have to spend too much money. So if people change from cars to buses or trains, the traffic and environmental problems will be solved.
Qua bài viết này, người viết đã đưa ra định nghĩa chung về Collocation, liệt kê một số Collocation quen thuộc trong chủ đề Transportation, phân tích nghĩa, cách dùng, đưa ra ví dụ cũng như áp dụng vào cách trả lời IELTS Speaking. Tác giả hy vọng với bài viết này, người đọc sẽ mở rộng thêm được vốn từ vựng của mình và áp dụng các từ mới đã học để chuẩn bị tốt cho kì thi IELTS nói chung và kĩ năng Speaking nói riêng. Người học có thể nâng cao cách sử dụng collocations trong IELTS Speaking bằng cách tham gia khóa học IELTS Foundation – Cam kết đầu ra 4.5 IELTS tại ZIM.
Lê Thị Kiều Linh